Thursday, November 3, 2011

Appropriate Use of Technology

What mathematics does it teach or reinforce? Is this effective?

This teaches several of the standards from the NCTM Standards, as well as rotantional symmetry. If it engaged the students to follow along, it could also teach students to draw triangles and some of the properties of them as well (Standard 7.G.2). It also teaches towards the 7.G.5 Standard in which it shows how to use supplementary, complimentary, and adjacent angles in a multi-step problem. I think that this is an effective way to do this because it allows students to work at their own pace. They can really see what is going on and pause whenever they need too.


Does the technology offer something that offer tools would not?


I think that the technology does offer children another outlet for learning. While I believe that hands on learning would be just as effective in any normal occasion, I think that children that require more time to process information would definitely benefit from using Kahn's academy. The program allows for you to start and stop at anytime, thus allowing you more time to try to solve the problem or to take notes. I also think that it is helpful because students (with computer access) could do it at home.

Are there other effective ways to teach or reinforce this same content?


I do! I think that the Kahn academy offers a great way for people that are simply audio or visual learners to process information at a slower pace, where as a more hands on technique would be better for those who prefer a more hands on approach. For example, I know that I do not process information very well online or using computer. I seem to get overwhelmed, cannot understand what is happening, or simply tune out. When I am in a classroom, or learning in-person from someone (seminars, etc), I learn a lot more. I learn better when I can take a liter hands on approach. I believe that the same could be true for our students. They are all different and have different learning styles, this should be no different. I would not use the Kahn videos for my geometry lesson exclusively, but I do think they would be great for an added tool to help aid my students.


If you were to teach this same lesson, what might you change about the delivery or example(s)?


I would definitely use some more hands on techniques (having them cut out triangles, build them using blocks draw them, etc). I believe that it is important to teach to all of the learning styles, and by providing not only a lecture, some visuals, and some hands on activities, I think that I would be better able to suit the needs of all of my students. I also think that by doing this we are able to reinforce the lesson for the students that may almost be there but aren't quite yet. Even if you are simply doing the video, demonstrate cutting out the triangles so that the children can follow along, perhaps? Maybe simply show more items? Just some thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment