Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Analyzing Student Data in a Spreadsheet

Performing the computations on this set of student data was relatively easy once I got the hang of using the Google Spreadsheet program. I think that the program is an extremely valuable tool to use as a classroom teacher in order to both organize and analyze student data quickly.

By being able to calculate and graphically organize student data quickly, I believe that we will better to be able to serve our students. We can quickly tailor our lessons and get feedback on how our students are performing.

The data for this set of students, for example, shows that while they were initially falling below the average of 192, that they were still showing growth from tests 6-10. This growth can be seen in the following data and charts:








I chose to demonstrate this in two different charts because while the line graph shows the student growth progression over time across the tests, it was difficult to see each individual student. The bar graph provides for a clearer analysis of each students' progression across tests.

As a teacher, I think I would take note of the students progress over time. While they are not totally mastering the concepts, it is obvious that they are improving. My expectations might have to differ between the varying students and their needs. I might have to do break out sessions or change my teaching style if this many students are not meeting my criteria.

I would also want to know more information regarding this data. Are the tests on the same material or content area? How much time has elapsed? Do the same students perform below average on everything or just this content area? I would also want to compare the averages of the first set of tests (Tests 1-5)with the averages of the second set of tests (6-10) to see what the progression was.

By gathering more information on these tests I believe that I could form a more accurate opinion an analysis of the students performance on these tests.

The entire set of data can be found here:
Entire Collection of Student Data and Charts

1 comment:

  1. Spectacular !!!!!!
    You address some essential questions regarding analyzing the data.
    Job very well done.

    ReplyDelete